Thursday, January 22, 2009

Gettysburg and the search for HDTV!

Tom came up from Baltimore to check out Gettysburg with us when Landon and Kendra were in town.

Here were are at Ruby Tuesday's, certainly not our first choice for watching the BCS championship game but...
At the hotel room in Gettysburg I (Jaron) pulled out the phone book and started calling local sports bars to see who would have the NCAA football championship game in, in HD. It seemed like a simple enough request, I love college football, and I prefer to watch it in HD. (Doesn't everybody?)
Thankfully, the first two places I called both claimed to have HD tvs with the game on, and one even had a special on wings! We went there first, about 30 minutes before kickoff just to be safe. Good thing we did. I think the TVs in this place were actually around during the Civil War, which is cool from a historical perspective, but not when you're about to watch a big game. Supposedly they had a couple HD TVs in the back room so we went to look at those screens and I will give them partial credit, they had two flat screen TVs, they were about 20 inch screens though and judging from the interference lines running through the screen there was definitely no HD signal coming in. So we rolled.
We tried a place across the street but they had already closed...seriously? So we went to the second place I had called, who claimed to have HD. We got there and it was seriously a trailer. A trailer. With lots of motorcycles parked outside. Tom and Landon ran in to scope it out and after determining that the only thing hi-def about this joint was the concentration of tobacco smoke inside we were skunked again.
We determined that Gettysburg is still living in the past. I mean, we figured it was so I don't know why this came as a surprise, but just one place with a good TV was all we wanted.
Off in the horizon we noticed a glowing hue. We determined that glow could only represent civilization and quite possibly the modern necessities we have come to call 1080p HD. After much debate we settled on Ruby Tuesday's. They had two big flat screen TVs we could watch, and had a really grainy picture, another was only semi-grainy, so we stayed. Desperate times call for desperate measures and kickoff was in 3 minutes.
The food was only slightly more disappointing than the picture, but we made a night of it and had fun just the same. Besides, we'd hit the biker bar on the way home for dessert...


No comments: